Dutch's Hearty Chili
Dutch The Old Salt's Dutch's Hearty Chili Recipe
Dutch loves to whip up a spicy chili any chance he gets. This dish is plenty hearty and full of flavor. We like to serve our chili with tortilla chips or even over pasta. You can leave out the chili powders and jalapeno for a less spicy version and you can always add our ghost pepper salt or habanero salt to spice up each bowl individually.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper diced (we keep the seeds in)
3 tablespoons chili powder
1.5 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
4 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (for spicier chili)
1.5 tablespoons Old Salt Merchants Smoked Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds ground turkey (or you can use a mix of 1 pound ground beef and 1 pound ground pork)
1 12 oz can of beer (recommended: Budweiser)
One 24-ounce can crushed tomatoes
One 24-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 Sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into squares
Lime wedges, for garnish
Chopped purple onion or scallions, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish
Shredded Cheddar, for garnish or a Dijon mustard cheese
*If you want to add a little more spice, sprinkle some Old Salt Merchants Ghost salt on top!
1. In a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Then add the garlic, onions, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika and season with OSM's smoked sea salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic. Then add the ground turkey (or beef mixture) and break it up with a wooden spoon.
3. Once the meat is brown and no longer pink, (roughly 5 minutes), stir in the beer then add the diced sweet potato
4. Then add the crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Once the chili is cooked add a handful of frozen peas.
5. Taste for seasoning and add smoky salt and pepper, if necessary or some stock if it seems too dense.
6. Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, diced red onion or diced scallions, sour cream, shredded cheese & tortilla chips
Posted by Monique Rodriquez on March 17, 2020