For a quick and easy meal, we like to serve a warm bowl of tomato soup with a hearty grilled cheese sandwich. We typically slow roast garden tomatoes with chicken stock for hours. But if you're looking for a quick meal, you can simply use whole can tomatoes with their juice. Cream is optional.
Ingredients for Tomato Soup: Serves 4
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large thinly sliced onion
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
5 large fresh basil leaves
1 pinch of saffron
1 (28 ounces) can of the whole tomatoes in their juice or use your slow-roasted version
2 cups chicken stock (if you followed the classic roasted chicken recipe, you can use the stock you made from that carcass)
1/2 teaspoon Old Salt Merchants Sweet Onion Sugar
Old Salt Merchants Black Lava Salt
1.2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Top with grated Gruyère
1. Heat the olive oil in a dutch pan or heavy bottom pan.
2. Add the onion and pinch of black lava salt - cover the pot and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally until golden brown
3. Add the garlic, tomato paste, and basil leaves and saute for 2 mins.
4. Add the fresh or canned tomatoes and juices - breaking the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon - Add the chicken stock & saffron threads
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes
6. Using a powerful blender or immersion blender, blend the soup directly in the pot if using an immersion blender or transfer the soup in batches to a blender. 7. 7. Season with black lava salt, pepper and stir in cream (optional).
Top with grated Gruyère cheese
Grilled Cheese Croutons (Serves 4 to 6)
- 4 (½-inch-thick) slices country white bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
Heat a panini grill or grill plan. Place the four slices of bread on a cutting board and brush lightly with the melted butter, being sure to butter the corners. Turn the slices over and pile Gruyère on two of the slices. Place the remaining two slices of bread on top of the Gruyère, -buttered sides up.
Grill the sandwiches on the grill for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned. Place on a cutting board, allow to rest for 1 minute, and cut into 1-inch cubes.
Recipe adapted from It's All Easy and Barefoot Contessa FoolProof